Colorado residents may hold a Colorado driver license OR Colorado ID card – not both.
To obtain an ID for the first time:
- You must provide identification documents to prove full legal name, date of birth, identity and lawful presence in the United States
- You must provide proof of your Social Security number
- You must provide proof of current your Colorado address
- ID card (under 60 years old) $11.50
- ID card (over 60 years old) FREE
An entire list of fees is available here.
Renew your ID card:
Reduce your wait time and schedule an appointment online.
You may renew your adult ID card any time prior to the expiration date – you shouldn’t wait until it expires.
Check eligibility to renew online (ID cards that were valid for 10 years are not eligible to renew online)
- Check eligibility to renew-by-mail (ID cards that were valid for 10 years are not eligible to renew-by-mail)
0 – 21 years of age: must visit an office to renew or replace ID card
Turning 21 years of age: must visit an office on or after 21st birthday to renew
21 – 64 years of age: may either visit an office or renew online/by mail up to two times in a row
65 years of age and older: may either visit an office or renew online/by mail every time
Your new ID card will be mailed to the address you provide within 30 days